When the boys were younger, I would ask them questions about Old Testament characters as part of a quiz. Included in that were questions about the Minor Prophets. How well do you know the following without consulting your Bible (or Google)?
- He wondered why God used a more wicked nation to punish his own nation.
- He repeatedly talks about “that day” near the end of his book, referring to the day of Christ and the church.
- He asked, “Will a man rob God?” and said, “God hates divorce.”
- He wrote to condemn Nineveh and was a prophet of comfort for God’s people.
- He said, “The just shall live by faith.”
- He was the Minor Prophet who spoke the most about “the day of the Lord.”
- His message was, “Rebuild the temple.”
- He compared his nation to a person who touched an unclean body, who became unclean.
- His book includes the “Shigionoth.”
- He said, “The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked.”
- He mentioned, “The Sun of Righteousness with healing in His wings.”
- He saw a flying scroll.
- He was the great-great grandson of Hezekiah.
- He talked about putting wages in a bag with holes.
- He talks about a Man whose name is “The BRANCH.”
All of these answers come from either the books of Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, or Malachi. This weekend will be more than about mere facts and information, though. The message, principles, and application will enrich your heart and life because it is “a portion” of the Word of God. These prophets write at a significant time in Bible history, and the implications of much of their writing play out in the ministry of Christ and establishment of the church. I hope you will come and be a part of our lectureship, if you can and for as much as you can. It will be a time of great growth and building up. Send me your answers and I’ll message you back with your “grade.” Happy test-taking! See you here starting tomorrow night at 7 P.M.